Posted on January 21, 2018 in Personal Tax Since You Asked Tax Planning

“When are my personal taxes due?” 


Every single taxpayer in Canada who earned money is required to file a tax return. It is due on April 30 of every year. Unless it falls on a weekend and then it is due the following Monday.

April 30 is the date that both your tax filing is due (the paperwork whether e-filed or paper-filed) but also the tax payment is due if you owed money. Why do I specify the difference?

If you are a sole proprietor or have any kind of business on the side that is reported on your personal tax return, your tax filing is due June 15. Again tax filing refers to the paperwork only. Tax payment is still due April 30.

“Why is CRA calling for instalment payments?”

When you owe CRA over $3,000 on your personal tax filing, they assume you will owe this amount the following year. Therefore they expect you to make payments throughout the year to cover this amount. Payments are due the 15th of March, June, September and December.

Have a question? Email or call us. And remember to check out our blogs, checklists and social media pages for more information on all things small business, tax, accounting and the Tri-Cities community.

***This blog is for information only and not to be used as tax advice or planning without first seeking professional advice. Information is subject to change without notice.